As winter sets in getting up in the morning becomes a struggle. But the smell of freshly brewed coffee and the promise of a warming, seasonal breakfast is enough to get me out of my bed and into my dressing gown. This week we've been experimenting with the possibilities of porridge and here is our favourite recipe.
4 large British cooking apples (enough for 4 servings)
2-3 tablespoons of water
1 tablespoon of organic sugar
200ml Organic whole milk ( use skimmed, semi skimmed or soya if you prefer)
200g Organic Porridge Oats
1 large teaspoon of Cinnamon
1. The night before peel and core the apples.
2. Put the apples in a large pan and add a good tablespoon of sugar and 2-3 tablespoons of water. Cook, covered, over a gentle heat, stirring often, until the apple pieces have completely dissolved and you have a thick, slightly translucent purée.
3. Once the compote has cooled, store in a glass container and put in the fridge ready to use in the morning.
4. Add the oats, milk and cinnamon to a pan and cook on a gentle heat until the oats are soft.
5. Put the oats in a bowl and add a generous amount of compote on top. Enjoy!